Chiyaan Vikram gave a huge facelift to director Hari’s career back in 2003 with the smash hit cop masala, Saamy. Hari was a one-film old promising director back then. The film also firmly established Vikram as the superstar of that time. Even Rajinikanth publicly acknowledged him as an actor who could pull off both content-oriented and commercial films with equal ease. At Saamy’s success function, this is what Rajini had famously said about Vikram – “When I saw Vikram’s intro scene in Saamy, I wondered why I haven’t done something like this yet… In Sethu, he left a strong mark as a performer. He went on to capture 20% of the masses in Dhil. He showed what a great actor and character artist he can be in Kaasi. Gemini enabled him to reach 40% of the masses, Dhool took him to 60% and now with Saamy, he has won over the masses completely. I’m sure he’ll have a great future.”
After 15 years, Hari and Vikram are now in the process of completing the sequel, curiously titled Saamy Square. The film is close to 80% complete and about 14 days of shooting is left. The film will wrap once the on-going Kollywood strike is lifted. They also intend to shoot a song abroad.
In a recent interview to Ananda Vikatan, director Hari shared a few interesting details about the film.
1. Vikram will play a double role – a father and son. A new picture shows him dressed as a cop named A. Ram Saamy. It is apparent that he is the son of Aaru Saamy (the robust cop from the first part). Hari says in the interview that Vikram will sport two different looks, but doesn’t comment on the double role. At 52, Vikram looks as fit and fresh as ever in the new stills which also feature actress Keerthy Suresh (who is half his age).
2. The sequel’s story would be quite similar to the first part – a cop cleanses a city of corrupt elements. The first part was known for its fiery punch lines like “Naa Police Illa, Porikki” (I’m not a cop, I’m a thug), “Aaru Saamyndra peru, kodila oruthanuku dan veppanga, naa kodi la oruthan da” (The name Aaru Saamy is hard to find, I’m one in a crore), “Policekaaranukkunu oru thimiru irukanum” (A cop has to have his swagger). Hari promises that the sequel too would have plenty more such lines.
3. Keerthy Suresh plays Vikram’s romantic interest. Comedian Soori will play her friend and ‘love guru’. There is an uncertainty regarding Trisha’s involvement in Saamy Square. According to reports, she had committed to the film but opted out due to differences with the team. Hari, however, confirms that she is very much part of the film and that her portions will be filmed after the strike.
4. Bobby Simhaa will play a negative role again after films like Neram and Jigarthanda. He will also have two distinct looks in the film.
5. The team had initially planned to release Saamy Square on June 14 – the Eid weekend. But now with the strike and many pending releases already waiting in queue, this plan will most likely change. There are rumours of it being moved to the Vinagaya Chathurthi weekend (September 13, Thursday), but it’s too early to know for sure.