Music Details of Anand:
Music: Salil Chowdhury
Lyrics: Gulzar & Yogesh
Label: Saregama HMV
Director: Hrishikesh Mukherjee
Director Hrishikesh Mukherjee went back to composer Salil Chowdhury after a gap of nine years for this Rajesh Khanna-Amitabh Bachchan classic. Despite the popularity of the Rajesh Khanna-Kishore Kumar combo following Aradhana the previous year, the composer opted for Mukesh and Manna Dey as the actor’s musical voices in Anand, and created a short but beautiful soundtrack out of them (and Lata Mangeshkar), with lyrics from the movie’s writer Gulzar, and Yogesh Gaud. Though Bachchan did not have any songs pictured on him, he got to narrate a lovely poem by Gulzar in the movie – Maut Tu Ek Kavita Hai.
Best Song Of Anand: Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaaye is the soundtrack’s most soulful composition, and my favourite. An adaptation of Salilda’s own Bengali song Amoy Proshno Kore, the song’s Hindi lyrics were written by Yogesh Gaud, and delivered in his trademark style by Mukesh.
The Anand Playlist:
- Kahin Door Jab (Male) (Singer: Mukesh | Lyrics: Yogesh)
- Maine Tere Liye (Singer: Mukesh | Lyrics: Gulzar)
- Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli (Singer: Manna Dey | Lyrics: Yogesh)
- Kahin Door Jab (Female) (Singer: Lata Mangeshkar | Lyrics: Yogesh)
- Na Jiya Lage Na (Singer: Lata Mangeshkar | Lyrics: Gulzar)
- Maut Tu Ek Kavita Hai (Poem) (Recited by: Amitabh Bachchan | Written by: Gulzar)
Listen to the entire album of Anand here:
(With contributions by Praveen VR, co-founder of musicaloud.com)